A Beacon Hill man and his two cats were evacuated from their home Monday afternoon after a electrical fire in the basement in the 2200 block of Roanoke Drive.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue were alerted of the blaze at 1:23 p.m., and were at the scene by 1:28 p.m. The fire was suppressed at 1:53 p.m.
"We found heavy smoke coming from the basement and first floor, and a fire in the basement. The homeowner told us that it was an electrical fire and we went back and confirmed that it was from the electrical box," said Battalion Chief Ryland Kendrick to Patch.
The house is in livable condition, "but the homeowner may want to find somewhere else to stay because of the smoke smell and because all their utilities are shut off. They won't have power or heat," said Kendrick.