‘Tis the season for local 5K runs, so are you ready to support your local school by registering for their “Turkey Trots”?
Fort Hunt Elementary, Waynewood Elementary, and Mount Vernon High School all are having such fundraisers, ALL on November 17th! So, pick your school of choice and get running!
If you are new to the concept – 5K’s are actually just 3.1 miles and can be done in less than an hour’s time. Here are a few tips to get you prepared… start now and you can lead the flock (is that what a group of turkeys is called?)!
1. Be sure you have well fitted, comfortable running shoes and outdoor wear. Layers are best, because you will heat up, and strip down, along the way!
2. Set aside 5 of 7 days each week to do a run and workout. Short or long, do a run.
3. Combine cross training (CT) exercises for overall endurance and strength. So, add biking, swimming, elliptical, or weight training, etc. to keep your training interesting!
4. On days you run shorter distances, keep up your speed. On days with longer runs, take a slower pace. This will build up your distance endurance.
Follow this chart to help you get to your 5K!
- Week Mon Tues Wed Thurs Fri Sat Sun
- 1 Rest 1 mile run CT 1 mile Rest 1.5 mile 20 min run/CT
- 2 Rest 1.5 mile CT 1.5 mile Rest 1.75 mile 20 min run/CT
- 3 Rest 2 mile run CT 1.5 mile Rest 2.0 mile 20 min run/CT
- 4 Rest 2.25 mile CT 1.5 mile Rest 2.25 mile 25 min run/CT
- 5 Rest 2.5 mile CT 2.0 mile Rest 2.5 mile 25 min run/CT
- 6 Rest 2.75 mile CT 2.0 mile Rest 2.75 mile 35 min run/CT
- 7 Rest 3.0 mile CT 2.0 mile Rest 3.0 mile 35 min run/CT
- 8 Rest 3.0 mile CT 2.0 mile Rest Run a 5K!
- Best of luck - and I hope you lead the flock!