Mt. Vernon Democrats will hold the first straw poll for the 8th Congressional District Democratic nomination and honor Congressman Jim Moran, who is retiring from that seat, at its sixth annual Mardi Gras celebration.
The Democratic primary election date is June 10. The Republican nominee for the April 26 at Bishop O’Connell High School in Arlington.
The 11 candidates who have announced so far have been invited to speak for two minutes each. Anyone with a ticket can vote. Votes will be counted by a straw poll committee of Mount Vernon District Democratic Committee (MVDDC) members and the winner announced at the event.
MVDDC Mardi Gras straw polls correctly predicted the winners of Democratic primaries the last two years. The 11 primary candidates are:
- Don Beyer, former ambassador
- Lavern Chatham, community organizer and former president of the Northern Virginia Urban League
- Adam Ebbin, state senator
- Bill Euille, mayor of Alexandria
- Patrick Hope, delegate
- Derek Hyra, associate professor, Virginia Tech
- Mark Levine, talk show host
- Alfonso Lopez, delegate
- Charniele Herring, delegate
- Bruce Shuttleworth, activist
- Mark Sickles, delegate
All have confirmed attendance except Shuttleworth, who had a previous commitment. At the event, MVDDC will honor Moran for his years of service in Congress.
The Mardi Gras party is the major annual fundraising event for the MVDDC. All funds are used to help elect Democrats. Last year more than 300 attended the event. Tickets are available at www.mvdemocrats.com.
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors