Congressman Jim Moran, 68, first elected to Congress in 1990, announced in January he wouldn't seek re-election. The district includes Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church and a part of Fairfax County.
Moran was honored last weekend at a Mardi Gras-themed fundraiser held by the Mount Vernon District Democratic Committee, with presentations and songs. MVDDC presented him with a print of the U.S. Constitution annotated by George Washington from the Mt. Vernon Estate and a photo book with pictures from his 12 terms in office, highlighting some of his activities in Mt. Vernon.
Committee members wrote new lyrics to and performed “Stay (Just a Little Bit Longer") and “This Man is Our Man” (to the tune of “This Land is Your Land").
Candidates have until March 27 to gather 1,000 petition signatures to meet the requirements to get on the ballot; campaigns have reason to move quickly: Candidates will be listed on the ballot in the order their paperwork is filed.
Teens who will be 18 by General Election Day, Nov. 4, 2014, may register now to vote, and if registered by May 19 may be eligible to vote in the June 10 Primary Election. To register or update your registration, you can go here to the State Board of Elections.Some of the campaign events coming up are:
SundayMark Levine: Mark Levine kicks off his campaign for Congress in the 8th District Sunday from 1-3 p.m. at the home of Mark Levine (805 Rivergate Place, Alexandria, VA 22314; map, click here).
Mark Sickles: The Mark Sickles for Congress Campaign Kickoff takes place Sunday from 4-6 p.m. at the home of Susie Warner, (6229 Edison Dr. Alexandria, VA 22310; map, click here).
MondayBill Euille: The Euille Campaign kickoff is Monday from 6:30-8:30 p.m. at The Birchmere (3701 Mount Vernon Avenue, Alexandria, VA 22305; map, click here).
For more on each of the 11 candidates, visit their campaign Web pages by clicking on the links below:
- Don Beyer
- Lavern Chatman
- Adam Ebbin
- Bill Euille
- Patrick Hope
- Charniele Herring
- Derek Hyra
- Mark Levine
- Alfonso Lopez
- Bruce Shuttleworth
- Mark Sickles
- Don Beyer Wins Straw Poll Among Democrats Running in 8th District Primary
- Alexandrians Mark Levine, Derek Hyra Enter Race for Congress
- Community Leader Lavern Chatman Enters Congressional Race
- State Sen. Adam Ebbin Announces Run for Congress
- Charniele Herring Enters Race for Congress
- Sickles Joins Growing List of Democrats Seeking 8th Congressional District Nod
- Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille Enters Congressional Race
- Patrick Hope Launches Congressional Campaign
- Report: Don Beyer to Enter Race for Congress
- After Jim Moran: Awaiting a Swarm of Potential Successors