The Northern Virginia Senior Olympics has its highest number of participants in this year's games.
Eight hundred athletes are expected to compete in this year's games, which kick off on Saturday. Athletes will participate in 40 events at 18 venues throughout Northern Virginia. Sixteen athletes from Fort Hunt will participate in various events, including bocce, track and field, and swimming.
“We have a 20 percent increase in overall participation with some events doubling in size, ” NVSO Committe Chairman Jack Hobbs said in a statement. “Last year 641 seniors participated and this year, by the time we count onsite registration, the numbers will easily reach 800.”
The following athletes from Fort Hunt will compete in the 2012 Northern Virgnia Senior Olympics:
- Russell Allen: Bunco
- Patricia Collins: Ten pin bowling
- Genevieve Foley: Bunco
- Mary Fowler: high jump
- Mark Harris: swimming, track
- Joel Johnson: duplicate bridge
- Sandra Kantak: duplicate bridge
- Patrick Malvaso: raquetball
- George Marmorino: high jump, discus, mini javelin, shot put
- Marian Myers: Bunco
- Wayne Osgood: duplicate bridge
- David Phillips: racquetball
- Barbara Phillips: Scrabble
- Sachi Pilkenton: tennis singles and mixed doubles
- Dorothy Rollins: Bunco
- Sharon Timmons: tennis mixed doubles
For more information, call 703-228-4721 or email email@example.com.