According to a recent news release, department personnel along with Apple Federal Credit Union, the Progressive Firefighters of Fairfax County, Local 2068 and the Office of Private Public Partnerships (OP3) have been collecting backpacks and school supplies for the past few weeks to distribute to children in Fairfax County and the Washington metropolitan area before the start of the school year.
Because of donations and support from local businesses, firefighters were able to collect more than 2,600 backpacks filled with school supplies — 400 more than last year's collection.
Firefighters will also arrange distribution of backpacks at various Fairfax County public school and local shelters.
Local business that showed support and/or donated:
- Nationwide Credit Corporation
- Modern Tech Solutions, Inc.
- Keith Burns Foundation
- Cardinal Plaza Shell
- Fairfax County Federation of Teachers
- Kids R First
- Centreville Moose Lodge #2160
- Arlington/Fairfax Elks Lodge #2188
- Aluminum Cans for Burned Children
- Rotary Club of Tysons Corner