Metro's weekend track work schedule will impact the Red, Blue and Orange lines for the weekend of Sept. 6 - 8. Work begins at 10 p.m. Friday and continues through system closing Sunday.
There is no scheduled work this weekend on the Green or Yellow lines.
According to a Metro News release:
Buses replace trains between Rhode Island Ave & Judiciary Square
Red Line trains will operate:
- Between Shady Grove & Judiciary Square: Every 10 minutes 9AM-9PM and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Between Glenmont & Rhode Island Ave: Every 10 minutes 9AM-9PM and at regular weekend intervals at other times.
- Express Buses will operate non-stop between Rhode Island Ave and Judiciary Square. Add about 15 minutes of travel time.
- Local Buses will operate between Rhode Island Ave and Judiciary Square, making intermediate stops at NoMa-Gallaudet and Union Station. Please allow 10 minutes of travel time for each station stop. For example, a rider traveling between NoMa and Judiciary Square should allow 20 minutes of travel time, because the bus makes two stops.
Work Performed: Crews will replace wooden ties, renew third-rail infrastructure, rehabilitate concrete structures, and begin winter weather preparations.
Change to Last Train Times: The last Red Line train of the night from Glenmont to Rhode Island Ave will depart 30 minutes earlier than normal to allow for shuttle bus connections. On Friday and Saturday nights, the last train will leave Glenmont at 2:07 a.m., and on Sunday, the last train will leave Glenmont at 11:07 p.m.
- Use Green or Yellow line service between Fort Totten and Gallery Place to avoid the work zone.
- Metrobus service may provide an alternate travel option for some riders. To check, plan your trip using Trip Planner and select the "bus only" option.
Regular service between Van Dorn St & Largo; Add time traveling to/from Franconia-Springfield only
Blue Line trains will operate:
- Between Van Dorn St & Largo Town Center at regular weekend intervals (every 12 minutes during daytime hours, and every 15-20 minutes at other times).
- At Franconia-Springfield Station only: Trains will arrive/depart every 20-24 minutes.
Work Performed: Crews will replace wooden rail ties, renew third-rail components, and improve track conditions for a smoother ride.
Travel Tip: For normal service, customers who use Franconia-Springfield should use Van Dorn St or Huntington stations instead.
Buses replace trains between Vienna & Ballston
Orange Line trains will operate:
- Between Ballston & New Carrollton at regular weekend intervals. Regular weekend service is every 12 minutes during daytime hours, and every 15-20 minutes at other times.
Free shuttle buses will replace Orange Line trains between Vienna and Ballston to allow for Silver Line testing and track work. Shuttle buses will operate on two routes:
- Express Buses will operate non-stop between Vienna and Ballston. Add about 25 minutes of travel time.
- Local Buses will operate between Vienna and Ballston, making intermediary stops at Dunn Loring, West Falls Church and East Falls Church. Please allow 15 minutes of travel time for each station stop. For example, a rider traveling West Falls Church and Ballston should allow 30 minutes of travel time, because the bus makes two stops.
Stations Closed: Vienna, Dunn Loring, West Falls Church, East Falls Church
Work Performed: Signal system testing in preparation for the opening of the Silver Line, as well as track maintenance.
Travel Tip: Customers who drive and park at Orange Line stations may wish to consider parking in the Ballston area instead. Parking fees may apply.
YELLOW LINE Regular service between Huntington and Fort Totten (no scheduled work)
GREEN LINE Regular service (no scheduled work)