UPDATE 12:25 p.m.:
From the Fairfax County Park Authority: Due to the snowstorm, all park facilities will be closed from Noon today until 10 a.m. Thursday. This includes RECenters, synthetic turf fields, and all other park facilities.
UPDATE 12:15 p.m.:
From the Fairfax County Emergency Information Blog:
"A winter storm warning is still in effect and snowfall rates are picking up as the brunt of the storm is hitting us now. In general, we can expect a total of 6-10 inches of snow in Fairfax County depending on your location. See the map with the latest predictions."
(See map for snowfall predictions; click on photo gallery.)
Fairfax County Government offices and services will close at noon today. Emergency personnel are still required to report for duty. Libraries will be closing at 11 a.m.
Most public meetings have been cancelled for this evening. School activities are cancelled the rest of the day. Courts are also closed.
UPDATE 4:30 a.m.:
All Fairfax County public schools and offices will be closed Wednesday, March 6. The following activities in schools and on school grounds are canceled:
- extracurricular activities
- interscholastic contests
- team practices
- field trips
- middle school after-school programs
- professional learning and training courses
- all adult and community education classes
- recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
- School Age Child Care (SACC) centers are closed.
It looks like Greater Alexandria could get its most significant snow storm of the season Tuesday through Wednesday.
Predictions Tuesday morning continue to indicate the area could see around 5 inches or more of heavy, wet snow.
The storm system is expected to start as rain late Tuesday evening and change to snow as temperatures drop throughout the evening hours.
Winds of up to 25 miles per hour, with gusts up to 35 miles per hour, are also possible.
- Snow Update From National Weather Service
- Foods to Buy
- Dominion Power Prepares
- Flight Delays
- Tips for Safe Walking in Snow and Ice
- Keep up with local snow information for Greater Alexandria by signing up for the Greater Alexandria Patch email newsletter. Also 'like' us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Throughout Tuesday and Wednesday, check here for all service and road closures as they happen.
As of 10 a.m. Tuesday:
Fairfax County government services and schools are operating normally.
Fairfax Connector bus service is operating normally, but "may be affected by the inclement weather," the county says. Check the Connector Web page or call 703-222-9764 for any operating changes.
Until the snow begins, here's some information to keep on hand:
Road Conditions, Closings
- Use Patch's commute page for live traffic maps before you leave the office. Snow will mix with rain around 4 p.m., just in time for the afternoon rush.
- The Virginia Department of Transportation keeps a map with all incidents, road work and closures here: 511virginia.org
- Fairfax County Public Schools will have information about any school delays or cancelations through these outlets (or, you can stick with Patch and we'll let you know).
- Fairfax County Emergency Information Blog.
- To report an outage to Dominion Power, call 1-866-DOM-HELP (1-866-366-4357). To see Dominion's online outage map, click here.
- You should report your power outage to Dominion Power even if you think your neighbor already has reported it.
- For safety and other information on what to do in the event of a power outage, read: Winter Storm Emergency Preparedness Tips.