Here are some of the week's important, interesting and fun stories concerning Alexandria and its people.
From Alexandria Patch sites:
What city officials are calling the most complicated project facing Alexandria appears to be getting even more problematic.
Waylaid by issues related to constructing the preferred option for a Potomac Yard Metro station, including encroachment onto National Park Service land along the George Washington Memorial Parkway and a scenic easement in the north end of Potomac Greens, Alexandria officials are now examining moving the existing CSX tracks through the area to accommodate a station.
The city has delayed its environmental impact study of three station alternatives—two at-grade stations east of the CSX tracks and a third aerial station to the west of the tracks—as it sorts through some of the issues facing the project.
- Vola Lawson, Alexandria's First Female City Manager, Dies at 79 — By Drew Hansen
- Memorial Service Scheduled for Vola Lawson — By Drew Hansen
- Craig Patterson Convicted of Killing Julian Dawkins — By Drew Hansen
- Is Bill Euille Headed to Richmond? — By Drew Hansen
- No Charges in Fatal Pedestrian Accident — By Drew Hansen
- Police Seek Help Locating Suspect in Attempted Rape — By Drew Hansen
- Police Seek Help Locating Dog Wanted for Biting a City Resident — By Drew Hansen
- Krupicka Putting Legislative Focus on Education, Mental Health Services — By Drew Hansen
- Crews Repair Water Main on Mount Vernon Avenue — By Drew Hansen
- Fire Crews Respond to Blaze on Dewitt Avenue — By Drew Hansen
- Curtain Goes Up on Potomac Yard Park — By Drew Hansen
- McAuliffe Picks Brian Moran as Virginia Secretary of Public Safety — By Jason Spencer
- Update: Hank's Oyster Bar Remains Closed for Expansion —By Drew Hansen
- A Christmas Story' Tribute Takes Top Honors at Holiday Boat Parade of Lights — By Drew Hansen
- Who Has the Best Christmas Tree in Del Ray? — By Drew Hansen
- Letter to the Editor: When Outsiders Lobby — By Kathryn Papp
- Snow Day for Old Town — By Drew Hansen
- A Little Snow Goes a Long Way — By Drew Hansen