The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors and the Fairfax County Park Authority Board is inviting the public to join a renaming ceremony Saturday at Lamond Park, which will now be known as Gilbert S. McCutcheon Park.
The ceremony will be held at 1 p.m. at the park, located at 7509 Fort Hunt Road. Onsite parking is extremely limited, so local residents are being asked to park at the nearby Mount Vernon RECenter, located at 2017 Belle View Blvd. A shuttle bus will run for one hour before and after the ceremony.
McCutcheon, who died Dec. 28, served with distinction on the Fairfax County Park Authority Board from 1992 to 2010, serving as vice chair from 2000 to 2005. During his 18-year tenure, he was heavily involved in the planning, creation, protection and acquisition of numerous park facilities and locations.
These include the and , both in Lorton; the establishment of the ; renovations at Mount Vernon RECenter; and the acquisition of Lamond Community Park.
McCutcheon was also a member of the Founders, Benefactors, Supervisors and Friends of Frying Pan Farm Park for many years. He served as the Mount Vernon Farmers Market Master for 26 years. Regardless of poor weather or ill health, he could be found at the market each week. He was also the president of the Marlan Forest Citizens Association.
Residents will have a chance to celebrate the stories of McCutcheon’s life during the ceremony.
Judy Pedersen, spokeswoman for the park authority, said the original name came about after the Lamond family purchased the property in 1940 and built the house that remains on the site today. The park authority purchased the property in 2000 for $4.6 million dollars from Jacqueline Lamond.