- The City of Alexandria invites the public to a 10 a.m. remembrance ceremony for the 12th anniversary of the events of Sept. 11, 2001. The event will take place in Market Square at 301 King St. The purpose of the commemoration is to give thanks and pay tribute to those who responded on 9/11 without fear, acted without hesitation, and gave their lives to save others. The ceremony will feature remarks from Alexandria Mayor Bill Euille, Alexandria Sheriff Dana Lawhorne, Police Chief Earl Cook, and Fire Chief Adam Thiel.
- Garfield Elementary School in Springfield will hold its annual 9-11 Remembrance Ceremony in the school’s front parking lot, by the flag pole. At this simple ceremony, the school will raise the American flag and the Freedom Flag, a visual representation of the events of 9/11 and reminder of the freedom we affirm on Patriots Day. The ceremony will include the school's usual moment of silence. The ceremony is scheduled to begin at 9:25 am.
- Enjoy the Corcoran uncorked. The Corcoran Gallery of Art stays open late on Wednesdays for wine and cocktail tastings, lectures and tours. The cover charge is $15, which includes one drink during the 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. event. College students get in for free. The gallery is located at 500 17th St., NW in Washington, DC.
- Eat dinner with a spy through this Spy Museum event. For $225, enjoy a dinner with Malcolm Nance, a counterterrorism and terrorism intelligence expert with field and combat experience. He’s the author of The Terrorist Recognition Handbook among other books. You’ll be one of only 20 guests. Call 202-654-0932 or write firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. The dinner takes place at Poste, 555 8th St., NE, Washington, DC. 20002.
- The Board of the Fairfax County Public Library will meet Wednesday (George Mason Regional Library, 7 p.m.) to discuss proposed changes to the system, which could include staffing cuts.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something