The West Potomac Athletic Booster Club is hosting a free school pep rally Wednesday with music and entertainment to usher in the new school year.
The fall sports pep rally begins at 5:30 p.m. Wednesday at the West Potomac High School stadium. The event is free and designed to get students and parents excited about the upcoming school year.
Organizer Crystal Compton, whose son is a sophomore at West Potomac, said she attended last year’s pep rally and found it lacking in enthusiasm and adult and community involvement. This year, she and a team of fellow organizers are reaching out to local businesses, community groups and parents to boost local ownership in the school.
“I hope that they start to feel a sense of ownership and community pride, and I hope we can interest the community and show them what a great group of kids we have and get them to come back and support our events,” Compton said.
She added: “Our kids are our future in our community, and if we raise really well-rounded kids who know their community and know their businesses, they’re going to be more respectful to their community and the people in it.”
Compton said she hoped the event would also help spur local business participation in helping fund school sports programs.
The event includes:
- A DJ “hype man” to provide music and facilitation
- Free West Potomac T-shirts for elementary school students
- A 50/50 raffle
- Spirit wear sales
- $1 concessions, including pizza, hot dogs, Gatorade and water
- A bake sale
- Performances by the cheerleaders, dance team and West Potomac Band
- Introduction of all coaches and teams
- A “Wobble Dance” for everyone on the field
- School speakers
- Fundraising opportunity tables
- Information tables on upcoming school activities
The event will last approximately one to one-and-a-half hours. The school is located at 6500 Quander Road.