Weekend Planner: Model Trains, Scavenger Hunts, and Fine Dining
Take a look at these events going on this weekend in Northern Virginia.
Making plans for the weekend? Patch has got you covered with a list of the top events happening in our area this Friday through Sunday.
Wellness Plan for 2012
- Where: Sherwood Regional Library, Mount Vernon area
- When: Saturday, Jan. 14 from 12 p.m. – 1:15 p.m.
- Why Go: Get help developing a fitness plan for the new year from expert Trish Muse. Topics covered will include weight loss, stress management, and nutrition. Please bring a brown bag lunch. Space is limited, and registration is required.
- Price: FREE
ACCT Presents "The Trials of Robin Hood"
- Where: Aldersgate United Methodist Church, Mount Vernon area
- When: Friday, Jan. 13 at 7 p.m., Saturday, Jan. 14 at 7 p.m., Sunday, Jan. 15 at 2 p.m.
- Why Go: Hear Robin Hood, Maid Marian, and the Sheriff of Nottingham tell their stories to King Richard and his court in this hilarious performance.
- Price: $9-10
Carl Sandburg Middle School Presents "The Jungle Book"
- Where: Carl Sandburg Middle School, Mount Vernon area
- When: Friday, Jan. 13 at 7 p.m. and Saturday, Jan. 14 at 7 p.m.
- Why Go: Check out Carl Sandburg Middle School's performance of this classic jungle story.
- Price: $5
Alexandria Winter Restaurant Week
- Where: Various locations in Alexandria
- When: Begins Friday, Jan. 13 and through Sunday, Jan. 22.
- Why Go: This 10-day dining event celebrates Alexandria’s culinary diversity. Participating restaurants, locations and more information are available at http://www.visitalexandriava.com. If you go to one of the restaurants, be sure to review it in the Patch Places directory on Old Town Alexandria Patch or Del Ray Patch!
- Price: $35 prix-fixe three-course dinner or $35 dinner for two.
Basic Gardening: Garden on a Shoestring
- Where: Green Spring Gardens Park, Annandale
- When: Friday, Jan. 13 from 1:30 – 2:30 p.m.
- Why Go: Create impressive flower and vegetable gardens on a budget with the help of a Master Gardener. Registration is required for this event.
- Price: $10 for Fairfax County residents; $12 for non-residents
Northern Virginia Players presents “Aladdin Jr.”
- Where: Burke Community Church, Burke
- When: Friday, Jan. 13 and Saturday, Jan. 14 at 7:30 p.m.
- Why Go: Bring the kids and enjoy Aladdin Jr., a musical stage production based on the Disney classic.
- Price: Tickets are $10 in advance or $12 at the door.
Studio 3 presents “Miss Electricity”
- Where: Workhouse Arts Center, Lorton
- When: Beginning Saturday, Jan. 14 at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. Runs through Feb. 25.
- Why Go: Studio 3 produces live theater for young audiences. Their latest production follows the adventures of 10 year-old Violet, aka “Miss Electricity”.
- Price: $12 for ages 12 and up; $8 for children under 12
Local Library Book Sales
- Kingstowne: Saturday, Jan. 14 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Kings Park: Ongoing Sale
- Lorton: Ongoing Sale
- Martha Washington: Ongoing Sale
Exploring the Artist in You! Youth Arts Symposium
- Where: Charles Houston Recreation Center, Alexandria
- When: Saturday, Jan. 14 from 1:30 – 5:30 p.m.
- Why Go: Kids from ages preschool to teen are invited to explore a wide array of visual and performing arts, including dance, drawing, painting, candy making, and more. Participants will showcase their new artistic talents at the end of the day.
- Price: FREE
Fairfax Symphony Orchestra: Masterworks Concert
- Where: George Mason University Center for the Arts, Fairfax
- When: Saturday, Jan. 14 at 8 p.m. (Pre-performance lecture at 7 p.m.)
- Why Go: Featuring Shostakovich’s Symphony No. 11, as well as Russian cellist Sergey Antonov performing Glazunov’s Chant du Menestrel and Haydn’s Cello Concerto.
- Price: Adult tickets range from $25-$55; students ages 6-18 are $5
Majestic Eagle at Mason Neck
- Where: Mason Neck State Park, Lorton
- When: Saturday, Jan. 14 and Sunday, Jan. 15 at 4 p.m.
- Why Go: Rangers will be on hand to guide and answer questions as you watch bald eagles soar over Belmont Bay. Cameras and binoculars are highly encouraged.
- Price: Parking day passes are $4 per vehicle.
G Gauge Model Train Display