This Week's Weather: Potential for Thunderstorms
Best weather day this week: Friday
Weather forecasters are calling for increased mugginess and a chance of rain through Memorial Day in Northern Virginia.
After enjoying a rain-free weekend, the area starts out with a 60 percent chance of thunderstorms on Monday, according to the National Weather Service.
The Capital Weather Gang's Brian Jackson notes the chances for precipitation this week are partly due to Tropical Storm Alberto, hanging off the coast of South Carolina. Alberto is the first tropical storm of the 2012 season prior to the official start of the hurricane season June 1.
"So far his center is forecast to stay well away from us, but that doesn’t mean he won’t affect our weather," Jackson wrote Sunday in The Washington Post.
Chances for thunderstorms hang around from Tuesday through the weekend, according to the National Weather Service:
- Tuesday: a 30 percent chance of rain
- Wednesday: a 40 percent chance of rain
- Thursday: a 40 percent chance of rain (NBC4 forecasts 60 percent)
- Friday: a 10 percent chance of rain (WJLA forecasts 30 percent)
For the beginning of the Memorial Day holiday weekend, on Saturday and Sunday, the chance for rain increases to 30 percent for both days, then drops to 10 percent on Monday, Memorial Day, according to The Weather Channel.
Due to Alberto, it will feel a bit muggy and high temperatures will be in the 70s through Thursday before starting to climb for Memorial Day weekend. On Friday, temperatures could hit the mid-80s and then rise to about 87 degrees on Saturday, Sunday and Monday, according to The Weather Channel.
Click on the NOAA video under "photos and videos" for lightning safety tips.