Outstanding service, professionalism, courage, and heroism: these were just a few of the many ways honorees were described at Thursday evening's Stars and Stripes Tribute. The Mt. Vernon-Lee Chamber of Commerce hosted the annual event to award honors to this year's exceptional police, firefighters and EMTs.
Held in the ballroom at the Belle Haven Country Club, first responders and their families celebrated the outstanding service the night's honorees have performed this year. As dinner was served, speakers such as Mount Vernon District Supervisor Gerry Hyland and Fort Belvoir Garrison Commander Col. John Strycula remarked about how grateful they are for the service performed by those in uniform.
As this week marks the tenth anniversary of the terrorist attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, Rev. Grant McIntosh, the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department Chaplain, gave a slideshow commemorating the efforts of local first responders at the Pentagon and the World Trade Center. His photos showed how the joint efforts of the different departments around the area unified police, fire and rescue, and military.
Newscaster Leon Harris of ABC 7 / WJLA presented this year's honors. Harris shared how each honoree came to receive their award through their selfless efforts and couragous acts.
Here is a list of all those honored at the night's event:
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department
- Volunteer Firefighter of the Year: Assistant Chief Gary Gaal
- Continuous Service Award: Lt. Timothy C. Walker
- Company Officer of the Year: Captain Kendall Thompson
- Firefighter of the Year: Technician Paul M. Corso
- EMT/Medic of the Year: Lt. Miranda Lambermond
Franconia Police Station
- Auxillary Officer of the Year: APO Richard R. Majauskas
- Continuous Service Award: MPO Scott A. MacCaskill
- Detective of the Year: Detective Ronald Burke
- Police Officer of the Year: PFC Justin Dellow
Mt. Vernon Police Station
- Auxiliary Officer of the Year: APO Jim Truesdell
- Detective of the Year: Detective Melissa Wallace
- Continuous Service Award: MPO Harvey Lyles
- Police Officer of the Year: PFC Blake Allbritton
- Captain Kevin W. Roberson, Fort Belvoir Fire Station
- Special Agent Robert A. Dillon