Photos: Historic Mount Vernon Prepares for Sandy
The Mount Vernon Estate takes precautions before Sandy hits.
UPDATE Monday, Oct. 29, 8:50 a.m.: Mount Vernon is closed today.
Crews at the Mount Vernon Estate worked hard to take precautions to protect the historic Mansion and grounds this weekend in anticipation of Hurricane Sandy.
According to Mount Vernon's Vice President of Marketing Rebecca Aloisi, the Estate took the following precautions this weekend to protect the property from damague during Hurricane Sandy:
- Plywood and protections were installed on the windows of the Mansion.
- The shutters were closed.
- Sandbags were placed at the Mansion and select areas on the grounds of the Estate.
- Moveable objects were moved away from the mansion, including benches.
- The sheep were moved to higher ground.
- Benches and other items removed from the wharf.
"We assess each storm as it comes through and take steps that are appropriate to the situation," Aloisi said. "We did take similar precautions during Irene last year, though."
As of Sunday night, the Estate has not yet determined whether the Estate will open on Monday.