Several school and government services and community activities are being canceled Friday in anticipation of afternoon snow.
The Capital Weather Gang anticipates 1 to 2 inches of snow will fall between 2 and 5 p.m. Friday.
The service predicts "snow will begin during the mid-afternoon and taper off in the evening. Snow may be moderate to locally heavy at times during the late afternoon and early evening."
Roads will become snow covered and slippery, the service says, "resulting in hazardous travel during the afternoon and evening commute."
The following services and activities in and around Greater Alexandria are affected as of 6:05 p.m.:
- Fairfax County Public Schools will close two hours early.
- Fairfax County events, scheduled classes and Drop-in Group Fitness classes held at RECenters or other FCPA facilities are canceled from noon on, including evening activities.
- Fairfax County Government offices and courts are open. "Each court will make their own decision about any early closing," the county wrote on its emergency blog.
- The Sherwood Regional Library and Martha Washington Library remains open for now under its normal hours, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Call 703-938-0405 or visit its website to check its status throughout the afternoon.
- Fairfax Connector bus service is operating normally, but "may be affected by the inclement weather," the county says. Check the Connector Web page at www.fairfaxconnector.com or call 703-222-9764 for any operating changes.
Patch will update this with more service and road closures as they happen.